From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Roles v2
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 22:37:48
1 Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Erm, how exactly will you find out that you need to recompile that package
3 > after such extensive build? You'll spend a couple of hours debugging when
4 > your server app stops working? Yay! :P
5
6 I had assumed that in such a case the ebuild would output a
7 scary-looking ewarn that notified the user of such a problem.
8
9 > Oh please, stop making up artificial policies doing no good to users just to
10 > hack around lacking features in portage.
11
12 Was I so impolite that you felt the need to be rude in turn? If so, I
13 certainly apologize, as it was not my intention.
14
15 I don't believe that I made up this policy, although it's been around as
16 an unofficial policy for so long that I couldn't really say one way or
17 the other. In any event, I certainly agree that fixing portage would be
18 preferable to policies that work around portage's warts. On the other
19 hand, until those warts get fixed it seems useful to have a set of "best
20 practices" in the meantime. I'm arguing that sudden, difficult to
21 predict package build breakages are a bigger sin than having a package
22 build deterministic functionality that may be unexpected by the user.
23 You (I think) believe the opposite. Fair enough.
24
25 -g2boojum-