From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: sys-pam category
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 21:57:29
1 On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 16:57 -0400, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Ned Ludd wrote:
6 > > *poof* we now reshuffle, but then we can do auth with ldap. So lets
7 > > move
8 > > all the */ldap* related subjects under it sys-auth/... Then a month or
9 > > six later comes along sys-ldap and it gets moved there. The logic will
10 > > go full circle before long if we consistently keep shuffling packages
11 > > around.
12 > >
13 > > All in all this is seriously the reason why ebuilds have a DESCRIPTION=
14 > > and one of the reasons we have metadata.xml files.
19 > Well obviously there needs to be a consensus on *how* to logically
20 > organize things before anyone goes willy nilly changing stuff. Do you
21 > group by what the package is used for (email vs. game vs. web browser)
22 > or by what it is built from (PERL stuff, Gnome apps, KDE apps). It
23 > appears that currently its a mix. Is that documented anywhere?
24
25 You raise a good point and sadly that is the unfortunate thing here..
26 There is no clear consensus right now and we have yet to really have a
27 fruitful thread on the subject. I not aware of any intelligent
28 documentation on this subject either.
29
30 > I personally think the organization should be from an end-user
31 > perspective as much as possible. Imagine for a moment that you are a
32 > Genewbie (new Gentoo user). You have a new minimal installation and you
33 > want to add some applications. How do you know what your choices are for
34 > an email client, for instance? You could find most things here:
37 > Again, I think better
38 > organization and improved tools are both worth while.
39
40 I fully agree with you on improved tools and would rather see us go
41 this route before we end up with >300 top level categories.
44 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list