From: Ryan Phillips <ryan.phillips@××××.edu>
To: Maik Schreiber <blizzy@g.o>
Cc: rphillips@g.o, spider@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] on the matter of security and cryptography
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 15:04:06
1 * Maik Schreiber <blizzy@g.o> [2002-08-05 12:51]:
2 >
3 > > This is just another way of a challenge/response. I challenge you to
4 > > login into the CVS machine. The same methodology applies.
5 >
6 > Yes, but the SSH approach is different in that I rely on trusting whoever
7 > granted CVS access. Using the telephone approach, there's exactly nobody I
8 > could trust in the first place.
9
10 Not entirely the case... Daniel could call me, and since I trust
11 daniels PGP key I could have him sign a quote that I state over the phone.
12
13 "To be or not to be" <-- he signs this and emails me the signature, since
14 I trust his key and the signature validates I have authenticated him
15 over the phone. (Or reasonably sure it is him on the phone, unless he
16 is in collaboration with a 3rd party, then no security system would work).
19 > > Why not have a key signing party at linux world?
20 >
21 > Think of cost and time.
24 It takes less than two minutes to verify a person's fingerprint, and to
25 sign a key...
26
27 -ryan