From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilisation procedure
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:17:09
1 On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 2:16 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > In cases where all USE flags combinations are not being tested, it is
4 > still recommended to test:
5 > * with all USE flags enabled
6 > * with all USE flags disabled
7 > * the default USE flag settings
10 I imagine that in practice only the last of these really tends to get tested.
11
12 > * A leaf package such as {{package|kde-apps/kcalc}} may not require any
13 > runtime testing at all
14
15 I'm not really a big fan of this, but if we REALLY didn't want to do
16 any runtime testing on a package then we should have some way to tag
17 the package as such, and then have some way to do automated
18 build-test-only stabilization. If you aren't doing runtime testing
19 then manual stabilization adds zero value.
20
21 Overall though the writeup was good and maybe it will trigger some
22 discussion. I tend to think that if we want to do things like testing
23 permutations and such then automated build-only tools might be the way
24 to address this. Manual effort should be focused on things like
25 runtime testing where it adds the most value. This also strikes me as
26 the sort of thing that could probably be assigned out to volunteers
27 who do not have commit access.
28
29 It really seems like the sort of thing that could be managed by
30 something other than bugzilla. Some tool finds out about packages
31 that ought to be stabilized (probably via multiple methods), then it
32 triggers the automated build tests/etc that do a lot of the low-level
33 QA, and if the package looks good it gets queued for runtime testing.
34 Then volunteers report in on status and when whatever criteria we
35 establish is met then the tool stabilizes the package, probably in a
36 dependency-aware fashion. Obviously this would require some care for
37 coordinated packages like xorg/DEs/etc, and it might not be the
38 preferred approach for many system packages.
41 Rich