From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Matthew Marchese <maffblaster@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 08:51:29
Dnia 2015-07-18, o godz. 12:01:48
Matthew Marchese <maffblaster@g.o> napisał(a):

> I have recently pressed the reboot button on the ol' Installer project. I've been able to talk to quite a few developers one-on-one via IRC concerning my plans. Most seem to be in support of Gentoo having a "official" installer (the biggest concern is appears to be how things will be implemented and the amount of features involved). This e-mail is to fulfill GLEP 39's request for comments (RFC), concerns, requests, etc. Since I'm a little new to the project I'm coming with a bit of ignorance; I know the previous Installer project fostered mixed feelings. > > If you'd like to review before replying you can see the Wiki page and find the source on GitHub: https://github.com/gentoo/stager > > To summarize I'm writing it in pure Python 3. It first will be able to create full backups (stage 4s) and recoveries. After that is finished I plan to move on to installations. There will potentially be a web interface UI for it. Others are free to create other front-ends; to me a web UI makes the most sense and would probably require the least deps. > > I'd like to hear it all so please speak your mind. Looking forward to hearing from you.
On a semi-related note, I was thinking about doing a semi-related project :). I personally don't think Gentoo needs installer as-is. However, I think we'd really benefit from having some kind of helper scripts / checklist of tasks to be done prior to/after install. For example, you'd run 'check-my-install' script and it'd tell you what you likely forgot to set up :). -- Best regards, Michał Górny <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>