From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The request to abolish games team policy
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 15:27:52
1 On 08/07/14 17:18, Maxim Koltsov wrote:
5 > 2014-07-08 16:10 GMT+04:00 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o
6 > <mailto:rich0@g.o>>:
7 >
8 > On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 7:38 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o
9 > <mailto:mgorny@g.o>> wrote:
10 > >
11 > > The games team believes that they're binding. In fact, I recall
12 > one of
13 > > the team members remarking explicitly that they're going to alter
14 > > ebuilds that were committed without their approval.
15 > >
16 > > In fact, they did remove ebuilds from the tree in the past for this
17 > > reason [1].
20 > [1]:http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/games-strategy/openxcom/?hideattic=0
21 >
22 > This was 3 weeks ago, so certainly relevant. Was this removal by
23 > mutual agreement (ie the games team and maksbotan ?
24 >
25 > Rich
28 > No, I was not notified beforehand (or failed to recieve such
29 > notification, it does not matter now). This was a proxied commit, I
30 > did a usual check of the ebuild and found no problems. I admit that
31 > the ebuild was not-so-compliant to games herd rules, though. Still,
32 > immediate removal without notification and/or discussion did annoy me.
33 > BTW, I fail to see the reason of move to games-engines, but that's
34 > another issue.
35 >
36 > --
37 > Regards, Maxim.
38
39 Did you get the ebuild reviewed and accepted for committing at
40 #gentoo-games as per existing guidelines[1]?
41 If you didn't, then you propably managed to annoy them first, and the
42 outcome was expected (as in, the missing work
43 was done for you, with best intentions)
44 I've never had any issues with getting games ebuilds reviewed at
45 #gentoo-games and I've committed dozen(s) of
46 games to tree.
47 I've been on the channel, almost always I'm online, I haven't seen
48 people getting ignored there who have proper
49 initial work done first (if the ebuild is in a shape you'd have to
50 rewrite every second line, you might get ignored,
51 and I find that to be reasonable, since we are all volunteers, afterall)
52
53 [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/i-wanna-be-in-the-games-herd.html
54
55 And some personal thoughts about the initial proposal...
56 I don't care about the suggestion 3. in mgorny's proposal at all, but 1.
57 and 2. should definately
58 stay as is. Since games ebuilds are low maintenance, there is no intrest
59 in getting dozens of 'eclass porting
60 bugs', which is why inheriting games last prevents future breakage as
61 well as ensure the eclasses
62 exported phases are respected.
63 It seems to me like people aren't making the effort of joining to the
64 team and meeting the high quality
65 ebuild syntax they've kept up...
66
67 - Samuli