From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Commercial" software in portage
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:39:42
1 maillog: 22/09/2005-09:28:53(-0400): Chris Gianelloni types
2 > I thought I had made it fairly clear, but I can elaborate.
3 >
4 > "commercial" would be anything that requires a purchase to use. This
5 > could be anything from specific media (such as most games) to a CD key
6 > or license file.
7 >
8 > The basic idea is to put in a marker to let people know that "This won't
9 > work without you spending money."
10 >
11 > This isn't a marker of whether something is proprietary, but rather a
12 > marker of whether something works out of the box. Sun's JDK, while it
13 > could be argued whether it would be "commercial" or not, does work out
14 > of the box, once you fetch the sources. You don't have to purchase it.
15
16 So, how do you treat icc? It requires a license key, but you can get the
17 key for free after registering. The package does not cost money and does
18 not work out of the box.
21 ) Georgi Georgiev ) Shah, shah! Ayatollah you so! )
22 ( chutz@×××.net ( (
23 ) +81(90)2877-8845 ) )