From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] arm64 update
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 00:04:21
1 On 02/18/15 15:32, C Bergström wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 3:27 AM, Tom Gall <tgall@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> So first, for those interested in cheap arm64 hardware, the first 96 board
5 >> is going to start shipping in March for ~$129. The HiKey board is an 8 way
6 >> 64 bit ARM board with 8 A53 cores. (No A57s bummer!) Only had a gig of
7 >> memory on the board but it’s not a bad device. I’ve had one for about 2-3
8 >> weeks now. I’m basically running off a USB hard disk for the moment and
9 >> thankfully the kernel continues to improve.
10 >>
11 >> The one downside is you really really need a 1.8v USB -> UART cable. You
12 >> can get them from digikey and connect it on the board. If working with raw
13 >> cables makes you squeamish take a breath, you’ll be fine.
14 >>
15 >> Info and links at:
16 >>
17 >> https://www.96boards.org
20 >> Ok so hardware aside here’s the arm64 gentoo plan.
21 >>
22 >> 1) new stage3 put together and get that onto the mirrors for consumption.
23 >> 2) Get the handbook extended to include arm64
24 >> 3) continued package stabilization
27 > If devs don't mind working out of a chroot - I can potentially get access
28 > to some hardware or possibly help test after things are a bit more "stable".
29
30 I don't mind chroots. I want to build stage3 and do stabilizations.
33 > If possible I do really recommend getting something with an A57 core (vs
34 > a53) - there is quite a bit of difference from the compiler side of how
35 > they compare.
36 >
37 > How much are the APM xgene1 systems selling for? Has anyone tried to
38 > request hw from: APM, ARM, Cavium or AMD?
41 I have about $1000 in grant money. Want to recommend some equipment?
44 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
45 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
46 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
47 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
48 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA