From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Beginning of official Gentoo Itanium 2 porting effort
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:55:04
1 On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 02:35:03PM -0600, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > Hi Everyone,
3 >
4 > HP has generously given us a very nice dual-CPU Itanium 2 system with
5 > 10GB of RAM on extended loan to allow us to port Gentoo Linux to it. I
6 > currently have it set up on my LAN and can give out access to
7 > experienced Gentoo developers and possibly some non-developers who might
8 > have already begun work on porting Gentoo to IA64.
9
10 Steven Plite (splite-gentoo@××××××××××××××××.edu) has done quite a bit
11 of work in this area - he's currently in the new dev pipeline.
14 > There are several people on the Gentoo dev team who are very motivated
15 > to get our IA64 rock-solid as soon as we possibly can, so I'd expect our
16 > progress on IA64 to move along very very quickly. If you have the time
17 > and experience to help in some capacity, please email Seemant Kulleen at
18 > seemant@g.o and cc me (drobbins@g.o) and tell us how you
19 > can help.
20 >
21 > The machine is currently running Debian. Porting plan is:
22 >
23 > 1) port Portage to Debian/IA64
24 > 2) use Portage to build an IA64 stage1 in a chroot
25 > 3) use Portage to build an IA64 stage3 in a chroot
26 > 4) get it to boot
27 > 5) convert system over to native Gentoo operation
28 > 6) expand support for IA64 throughout the Portage tree
29 > 7) release
30 >
31 > Best Regards,
32 >
33 > Daniel
34
35 Steven Plite mailed me today and said he'd put a working stage1 up on a
36 FTP tonight - hopefully he can drop us a mail about it soon.
39 Jon Portnoy
40 avenj/irc.freenode.net
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list