From: Matt Beland <matt@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /etc/init.d
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:56:02
1 On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 12:48:08PM -0500, Yannick Koehler wrote:
2 >
3 > Guys,
4 >
5 > not sure for anyone else but is init.d really need to be protected?
6 > I mean does someone really change files in that directory (other than
7 > adding or removing)?
8 >
9 > That dir should always get merged. It would also get really nice of
10 > the portage could detect that no changes has been made to the file since
11 > its installation and therefore merge it without any issues.
12 >
13 > Like if the protected config file's time were saved in a temp files
14 > that portage would look into before merging to see if the date has or not
15 > change since the last install.
16
17 /etc/init.d/ should be protected, if nor no other reason than because it's better
18 to err on the side of caution.
19
20 I currently have four modified init.d/ scripts, plus three that either I or a
21 compiled-from-source program created. If init.d were not protected, and an update
22 or emerge replaced one of those scripts without my knowledge, it could seriously
23 hose up parts of the system.
24
25 Nope. The current system works fine. At most, someone should be able to easily
26 write a script to automatically copy init.d/ scripts into place.
29 Matt Beland
30 matt@××××××××××××××.org
31 http://www.rearviewmirror.org