From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Cleaning up PMS to have ${D} not end with a slash
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 17:05:48
1 On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 12:01:24PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 10:56:45 +0000
3 > "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o> wrote:
4 > > ROOT being a user set variable, having ROOT be an empty string by
5 > > default still does not guarantee that ROOT won't end with a
6 > > slash. Even if we change it so that it defaults to an empty string, it
7 > > won't negate the need to do ${ROOT%/}/some/path.
8 >
9 > The spec guarantees that ROOT will be non-empty and end in a slash. If
10 > Portage isn't enforcing this, file a bug.
11
12 Yes, but his point was this:
13
14 > > The only thing that would help is if PMS defined that ROOT must not
15 > > end with a slash.
16
17 ie, let the mangler enforce empty or a valid directory not ending in a
18 slash, which is hardly difficult, and makes ROOT easier to work with,
19 along the lines of how any shellscripter would do it, similarly to the
20 motivation for the change to D. Only with ROOT it's much more important
21 that the path is correctly-formed for cross-platform compatibility.
24 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)