From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19: Gentoo Stable Portage Tree -- ideas
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:11:34
1 On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 09:00 +0000, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On 06/01/06, Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Probably better to iron out what y'all actually need and what the dev
5 > > community is willing to put up with.
6 > >
7 > > Eg, would do some research into it, read the archives from last few
8 > > wars over it, in general find (and address) the issues that lead to
9 > > glep19 going still born.
10 >
11 > The problems being:
12 >
13 > 1) Manpower. There are already 10,000 open bugs in bugzilla (and
14 > growing) without adding more.
15
16 This is probably the primary reason it died. This, of course, ties in
17 greatly to #2.
18
19 > 2) Lack of interest. Most developers aren't interested in supporting
20 > "old" packages.
21
22 Again, another of the issues. Another problem was the insistence on
23 using some form of subset of the tree. Using a subset of the tree
24 actually *increases* the workload rather than reduces it. The only real
25 "subset" that can easily work without dramatically increasing workload
26 is to limit to only arch rather than both arch and ~arch. This is
27 simply because it can be scripted.
28
29 > 3) The enterprise. Both of the above problems would be fixed if
30 > enterprises were contributing developers and/or money. However, they
31 > aren't, so why is that? The truth is most enterprises want to go to a
32 > big company to buy their software. They want one homogeneous binary
33 > system, not a flexible way of building packages from source, and they
34 > want someone else to do it and be responsible for it.
35
36 While I don't think enterprise support is necessary to accomplish a
37 stable portage tree, it certainly wouldn't hurt.
38
39 Truthfully, for any "large" enterprise, the company will be maintaining
40 a fair number of their own packages, with custom patches and whatnot.
41 Where I work, we use Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Why? Because we can pay
42 for support. That isn't the point I am going to make here, however. We
43 also have to maintain several hundred RPM packages that either are not
44 included in RHEL or modified by us in some way. What this means is we
45 are now in the business of maintaining a package set, using arguably
46 inferior tools versus ebuilds and portage. The binary support in
47 portage does make it very possible to "build once, deploy everywhere"
48 quite easily.
49
50 > Look at the arch/~arch split - as a guideline ebuilds are supposed to
51 > move from ~arch -> arch after some reasonable period of time with no
52 > bugs reported (eg. 30 days). Yet as the friendly script shows us,
53 > there are many ebuilds that that stuck in ~arch for a long long time.
54 > Why? The main reason is developer interest - a lot of people only run
55 > ~arch, so the motivation is reduced. It's difficult for users to help
56 > - in the end it's easier to mark stuff ~arch in
57 > /etc/portage/package.keywords than to file a bug requesting that some
58 > developer test and change the ebuild. Proper testing of a tree
59 > requires developers to run both arch and ~arch. The stable proposals
60 > would add yet another tree to test.
61
62 The current stable proposals do, yes.
63
64 I'll post up my proposal (in another email), which I believe I had given
65 a couple years ago, somewhere around when GLEP19 was introduced. Given
66 it has been a while, I can't say for certain exactly what order anything
67 came about in, so I won't even try.
68
69 > The only way I can see to solve these problems is more automation.
70 > Link bugs directly to individual versions (or sets) of ebuilds. Have a
71 > defined process for marking stuff stable - either x days with no bugs,
72 > and/or through sampling of users installed packages to see what is
73 > actually installed out there. Bug voting would fix the disconnect
74 > between users and devs (sometimes people are interested in working on
75 > a random problem to help gentoo - at the moment it's difficult to see
76 > which bugs are really the important ones to users). Decentralise
77 > development - allow users to share their own patches in a searchable
78 > system, rather than force everything through bugzilla; add support to
79 > portage to utilise other peoples trees - the current system of devs
80 > publishing overlays on their web pages/svn and users having to
81 > manually wget or svn up is too difficult for users and removes ebuilds
82 > from the tree - so they are less visible and get less testing. For QA
83 > gentoo really needs a compile farm with automated compile, install and
84 > test (from those ebuilds that support it). Make the system smarter,
85 > instead of throwing more people at the problem.
86
87 All of these solutions I think are good period, not just to be for some
88 "enterprise" usage, especially multiple repositories (it's coming, yay!)
89 and automated build systems.
92 Chris Gianelloni
93 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
94 x86 Architecture Team