From: R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 17:19:50
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 21:33 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 >> Hence emerge --news.
4 >
5 > Why?
6 >
7 > There's no "emerge --etc" or "emerge --etc-update" functionality. Why
8 > must it be "emerge --news" at all?
9
10 # emerge --help config
11
12 probably an emerge --help news that explains the basics of the news
13 system and points the user to the default reader (whatever that becomes)
14 or even just tells them where to find the news files to read in their
15 editor of choice would be helpful.
16
17 >> We need to establish *one* authoritative source of news. We can't do
18 >> that if we simultaneously launch several sources of news all at once.
19 >> We have to launch *one* service first, give the userbase time to adjust
20 >> to that, and then start making the news available via additional
21 >> sources.
22
23 No! The other channels to deliver news to users are already in place.
24 Make them *all* the one authoritative source of news. If your goal is
25 100% coverage, then why proceed without a fallback?
26
27 > No, we really don't. Our users aren't idiots. They just aren't reading
28 > the information presented to them. While I agree that we need to have a
29 > single location for news, I also think that we must *require* this
30 > information be present in other locations. The main reason for this is
31 > that "emerge --news" is filtered based on the packages installed on the
32 > system. What about administrators that have lots of different systems?
33 > To them, it might be easier to receive all of the news, via
34 > gentoo-announce, and filter them via their own methods to determine what
35 > is important to them. Perhaps I want to search for an old news item.
36 > Why shouldn't I be able to go to a web site and enter my query in a
37 > search box and get all of the major news updates to dev-lang/php?
38 >
39 > If you want to reach 100% of the user base, then we should make this
40 > useful for as many situations as possible. I know that with the number
41 > of machines that I administer, it would be much easier for me to get
42 > *all* of the news in one place and determine what is valid for my
43 > machines, rather than having to read them on each individual machine
44 > based on the packages installed.
45
46 Seconded. ;)
49 --de.