From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: riscv@g.o, "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to structure our RISC-V support -- Summary
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 12:42:34
1 So, here's what I took away from the thread. Please shout if you
2 disagree.
3
4 1) Advertised riscv profiles will all be non-multilib and use /usr/
5 lib64 (or /usr/lib if we ever get around to riscv32). [A]
6
7 2) The standard for keywording and stabilization is rv64gc/lp64d.
8 We keep stages for other variants [B] around if feasible, but on these
9 important packages may be masked and unavailable [C].
10
11 3) We try to internally keep the multilib variant with the two-stage
12 path going for now, as very low-priority thing. [D]
13
14 4) Medium term we discuss with the RISC-V, glibc, gcc people how
15 multilib could be simplified, and then switch the multilib settings
16 once this comes to a conclusion.
17
18 If there are no protests I'll start planning the path migration for
19 1). (Maybe making a riscv-specific new profile version is best.)
20
21 Cheers,
22 Andreas
25 [A] Note that the actual specs use /usr/lib32/...
26 [B] Other ABI (lp64) or other ISA (riscv32...)
27 [C] See rust etc.
28 [D] Low priority means, it pretty much won't build every now and then,
29 as, e.g., right now [E].
30 [E] Our monkeypatched glibc-2.32 rv32 support was experimental enough
31 so it didnt survive the transition to official upstream glibc-2.33
32 support, so the multilib stages will have to be re-bootstrapped.
33
34 > So, I would like to bring two proposals up for discussion.
35 >
36 > 1) We stop caring about anything except rv64gc/lp64d.
37 > People can still bootstrap other stuff with crossdev etc, but the
38 > Gentoo tree and the riscv keyword reflect that things work with
39 > above -mabi and -march settings.
40 >
41 > 2) We drop the multilib paths and use "normal" lib64, with
42 > additional "safety symlinks" (/usr)/lib64/lp64d -> .
43 > This is what SuSE and (I think) Fedora already does. The symlink
44 > should be there since "lib64" is NOT an official fallback coded into
45 > gcc/glibc/binutils; the only fallback present is "lib" ...
48 Andreas K. Hüttel
49 dilfridge@g.o
50 Gentoo Linux developer
51 (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)