From: "René Neumann" <lists@××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage QOS
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:18:35
1 Am 10.01.2014 14:05, schrieb Igor:
2 > Hello Patrick,
3 >
4 > Friday, January 10, 2014, 4:39:59 PM, you wrote:
5 >
6 >> No, Python isn't slow.
7 >> Bad code is bad. You can write bad code in any language.
8 >
9 > Are you sure? Take a look here:
10 >
11 > http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u32q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=python3&lang2=gpp&data=u32q
12 >
13 > of course these stats are all so fake, and you may not belive them.
14 >
15 > I've been using C/C++ since school it's fast, even bad code is working fast.
16 >
17 > I WOULD NEVER BELIVE PYTHON IS AS FAST AS C++ with math algorithms
18
19 You do realize, that we are not doing math (read: number crunching) here?
20
21 And again: What is needed is streamlining the algorithms (discussion on
22 that already started as far as I could notice). An algorithm in O(n³) is
23 always¹ worse than O(n). The constant factor added by the language
24 difference is of no interest.
25
26 > It's crazy that you're even trying to state it. Take a look at what
27 > Python is producing in disasm and then look at it in G++.
28
29 For a larger project, it often is more important to have readable and
30 maintable code opposed to getting the last bit of performance. And
31 Python is _far_ more readable and concise than C or C++ (imho). Due to
32 lack of typechecking, I'm not so sure when it comes to maintainability
33 though (there are test suites of course).
34
35 - René
36
37 ¹ For a large enough n.