From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo World Domination. a 10 step guide
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 21:16:21
1 On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 13:20 -0400, Caleb Tennis wrote:
2 > > Basically, the person doing one or two commits a month *do not* need CVS
3 > > access. They can still *contribute* at their current pace without
4 > > having CVS access and a nice @gentoo.org email address.
5 >
6 > Sorry, but as a dev who has lurked in the shadows for a long time, this
7 > simply isn't globally true. Sometimes there are packages which the dev
8 > takes over that nobody else who is a developer wants or has time to work
9 > on. This happened to me when all of a sudden nobody was on the ruby herd
10 > anymore. All of my requests went unanswered. So I simply took it over.
11
12 Looking at CIA, you're nowhere near the target of my comment. I am
13 talking about the people that disappear for months on end, then suddenly
14 come back for a commit or two to keep from being retired. People who
15 ignore their bugs also fit into this category.
16
17 > I'll offer a counter proposal: I don't play games on the computer, and
18 > they're definitely not required for a working Linux distribution, so I
19 > think we should just get rid of all games packages. Let's focus our
20 > efforts more on the necessities.
21
22 I'll be honest. I don't care.
23
24 A counter proposal such as this is pretty much given entirely to provoke
25 an emotional response, which I'm simply not going to do.
26
27 > My point is that as long as it's of sufficient quality, it's silly not to
28 > accept the gratis work that someone's willing to do, be it in putting
29 > games into the distribution or making a small number of commits to keep a
30 > certain subset of packages up to date.
31
32 Nobody is saying that we shouldn't accept work from people. However,
33 there's a difference between accepting one's work and giving them the
34 keys to the castle. Many people also seem to think that someone has to
35 be a developer to do good work. This is absolutely untrue. After all,
36 where do all of our recruits come from?
37
38 With the increase in developer and project overlays, I see the
39 possibility for reducing work needed to maintain many packages. As
40 Natanael Copa, it would be nice for him to be able to maintain packages
41 without having CVS access. The idea of formalizing and promoting "proxy
42 developers" has come up a few times before, and I think it is a great
43 idea. Work is done in the overlays, tested, improved, then committed
44 into the main tree once the kinks have been worked out. We get a
45 stronger core tree with fewer "developers" and a better interaction with
46 the community.
49 Chris Gianelloni
50 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
51 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
52 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
53 Gentoo Foundation