From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Opinions Wanted - Arrays again :)
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 06:44:32
1 Roy Marples wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 16:36 +0000, Duncan wrote:
4 >> Well, several services already have a "basic" setup using named vars,
5 >> then something like Richard's suggested Options_eth0= as a (normally
6 >> commented) catch-all for anything advanced that the admin wishes to pass
7 >> "raw". IMO the standard network stuff is well defined enough for that,
8 >> perhaps with a couple of mode-toggles and/or counters thrown in. (A
9 >> counter like eth0_number_IPs= could default to one, for instance, but set
10 >> to something higher and with the appropriate number of address_N_eth0=
11 >> lines, it'd then cover your 5-address example, without having to worry
12 >> about figuring out how many there are, since it's a given.)
13 >>
14 >> I think that's what many of us would like and what this subthread is
15 >> asking for, truth be told, but I also realize it's going to be more work
16 >> setting it up -- but OTOH should be simpler for the user to setup so
17 >> perhaps less bugs to deal with and the documentation in the net sample
18 >> file should be somewhat simpler as well. The more work thing is why I've
19 >> not requested it before, but it'd be nice, and with others mentioning it
20 >> now too, now's the time to speak up if I'm going to. =8^)
21 >
22 > Fair enough, but one of the goals of baselayout-2 is to support
23 > baselayout-1 configs where possible if the shell is still bash.
24 >
25 > I'm striving to support similar configs for non bash shells so that
26 > there's not much of a learning curve.
27 >
28 > Yes we could have a totally new non compatible setup, but that would
29 > really suck hard for upgraders yes?
30 >
31 But baselayout knows if it's running BASH or not, right? Could you not
32 define a new, easy to use setup while still allowing the old syntax for
33 people who use BASH. (It could be an install option, with a script provided
34 to convert configuration, if and when the user wanted to switch.)
35
36 I must be missing something: why can this not just be mapped to a function
37 call?
38 So: config_eth0=( "1.2.3.4/24" "some voodoo" )
39 would become: netConfig eth0 "1.2.3.4/24" "some voodoo"
40 ie the spec would be: netConfig <interface> <setting1> [..<settingN>]
41 with a test for [ $# -gt 1 ] and then interface=$1; shift
42
43 Failing that, a plaintext config file along the lines discussed in [1] would
44 be cool. awk could parse it pretty quickly.
45
46 [1] http://modeemi.fi/~tuomov/b//archives/2007/01/20/T11_58_29/
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list