From: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:22:31
1 John Nilsson wrote:
2 > I think you are wrong. ;) I think it *can* be argued sensibly. For these
3 > reasons.
4 >
5 > 1. Virtually all operating systems today ships with some GUI.
6 > 2. GNU (as in Gnu Public License) seems to regard the X Windows System
7 > as a core system component.
8 >
9 > All you *need* for a linux based operating system is linux and a static
10 > binary called /sbin/init. Clearly the "Base system" referred to in GPL
11 > extends to more than that.
12 If you go that far, then I would say something like 50% of all Kernel
13 modules, cannot be considered a core part of the system. How many useres
14 actually need some exotic crypto patch in the kernel? Now see how many
15 users actually need XFree.
18 > Even though I argue for compatibility, I still think it is correct to
19 > not ship XFree86. Mostly because Gentoo would and the OSS world would be
20 > far better of with a more "geekish" and open development of the X11
21 > implementation.
22 I agree. If there was any reasonable alternative (by reasonable, I meen
23 working and compatible) to XFree86, I would be glad to use it, rather
24 than look for ways to agree GPL with new Xfree license.
25
26 Wkr,
27 --
28 Sergey Kuleshov <svyatogor@g.o>