From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Python 2.7 cleanup: plan B
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 00:00:56
1 On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 23:41:33 +0000 (UTC)
2 "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@×××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > Hi, everyone.
5 >
6 > > TL;DR: we might keep Python 2.7 supported as a build-time dependency
7 > > of a few packages as necessary, while removing the eclass support
8 > > for installing packages for py2.7.
11 > > As I've mentioned earlier, the plan is to get rid of Python 2.7
12 > > target support at the beginning of 2021. The plan was to last rite
13 > > all remaining packages failing to support Python 3 at 2021-01-01,
14 > > and remove the eclass support on 2021-02-15. At the same time, the
15 > > Python interpreter was going to stay around for as long as
16 > > necessary.
17 >
18 > > I've also mentioned that there is a high risk that this will not be
19 > > possible because of a few large entities ignoring the problem
20 > > and failing to port their build system scripts away from Python 2.
21 > > We can't really last rite all major web browsers, and postponing
22 > > the deadline indefinitely is not a good solution either.
23 >
24 > > Therefore, I advise the following plan B: if it is impossible to
25 > > remove Python 2.7 support from packages entirely, the support for
26 > > installing Python packages for Python 2.7 will be removed.
27 > > However, there will be exemptions granted for build-time
28 > > dependencies on the Python interpreter to keep things working, for
29 > > as long as the interpreter itself is going to stay.
30 >
31 > > The candidates for exemptions are pypy/pypy3 (CPython 2.7 is needed
32 > > for bootstrap on new platforms), Mozilla products, WebKit and
33 > > WebKit-based browsers.
34 >
35 > > Best regards,
36 > > Micha=C5=82 G=C3=B3rny
37 >
38 > I believe net-print/hplip also depends on Python 2.7. This is
39 > print/hplip in NetBSD pkgsrc and FreeBSD ports.
40 >
41 > Or did they fix that recently?
42 >
43 > Possibly hplip is mainly for older HP printers, not sure about what's
44 > going on with HP laser printers more recently.
45 >
46 > Maybe that's why there has been reluctance to fix the Python 2.7
47 > dependency?
48 >
49 > I have such an HP printer (LaserJet M1212nf MFP), and my experience
50 > dissuades me from ordering anything further from HP.
51 >
52 > I think most everybody involved with open-source would agree that
53 > proprietary binary plugins suck.
54 >
55 > Tom
58 latest hplip has: PYTHON_COMPAT=( python3_{6,7,8} )
59 and older one was just missing py3.8