From: Troy Dack <troy@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 03:05:42
1 On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 16:15, Alti Vec wrote:
2 >
3 > This loooked like it would've been an interesting linux to install and use
4 >
5 > I was proven wrong, its way more convoluted and difficult than slackware and
6 > debian were on my system.
7
8 I'd have to say that it is intentionally more difficult to install than
9 Slackware and Debian, or for that matter Red Hat or Mandrake.
12 > Does gentoo ever expect their linux to become "popular" or just another
13 > choice in the pile?
14
15 I think Gentoo is very popular at the moment, but it is popular with a
16 specific set of people -- those that are willing to make the effort to
17 learn how all the pieces fit together, or those that already know how
18 they fit but want a bit more control.
19
20 I don't think that Gentoo is ever going to become as popular (or stable)
21 as <insert major distribution here> and it's not really aiming to take
22 over those "markets".
23
24 For those who have suitable hardware, curiosity and patience, Gentoo is
25 a nice (if somewhat frustrating at times) "distribution" to play with.
26 Personally it's taught me a great deal more about how all the bit fit
27 together to produce a Linux based workstation.
30 Troy Dack
31 http://linuxserver.tkdack.com http://gentoo.tkdack.com