From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Gentoo Identity Provider
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 06:09:20
1 On 18-05-2020 18:42:24 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > TL;DR: What if we launched id.gentoo.org[1], an identity provider that provides
3 > authentication for Gentoo properties? Basically, 1 username / password for wiki,
4 > bugs, email, forums, and any other http service[0][1].
5
6 I'd be in favour of SSO for all http-, imap- and smtp-based Gentoo services.
7
8 Thanks,
9 Fabian
12 > Today Gentoo has numerous systems that mostly work in a segmented way.
13 >
14 >  - To connect to hosts, we use ssh keys.
15 >  - Git is authenticated via ssh keys.
16 >  - Email uses LDAP passwords.
17 >  - Bugzilla has its own identities, with their own passwords.
18 >  - Wiki is separate, with its own passwords.
19 >  - Forums are separate.
20 >  - Infra has an additional 4 systems that use separate credentials.
21 >
22 > Some applications support 2FA (such as wiki.)
23 > Some applications do not support 2FA.
24 > Applications that require 2FA have a configuration for each app, so you have N
25 > configurations.
26 >
27 > If we configured id.gentoo.org[2] you would have 1 identity across all gentoo
28 > properties.
29 >
30 > Is this a thing people are interested in?
31 >
32 > [0] It's unlikely operations for git via ssh would change in this rollout.
33 > [1] Its unclear if the scope is "gentoo developers" or "any community member."
34 > The former have LDAP accounts and @gentoo.org[3] email addresses and so we can
35 > manage them easily; managing 1000s of other accounts in the IDP remains to be
36 > seem.
39 > References
40 > 1. http://id.gentoo.org
41 > 2. http://id.gentoo.org