From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: proxy-maint@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFD] Adopt-a-package, proxy-maintenance, and other musings
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 05:45:26
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 With all of the unclaimed herds and unclaimed packages within them, I
5 started to wonder what will happen after the GLEP 67 transition
6 finally comes to fruition. This left me with some concerns and I was
7 wondering what the community thinks about them, and some possible
8 solutions.
9
10 There is a large number of packages from unclaimed herds that, at this
11 time, look like they will not be claimed by developers. This will
12 likely result in a huge increase in maintainer-needed packages (and
13 subsequent package rot). This isn't to say that some of these
14 packages weren't previously in a "maintainer-needed" like state, but
15 now, they will explicitly be there.
16
17 A possible approach to reducing this is to adopt some new policies.
18
19 The first of which is an "adopt-a-package" type program. In
20 functionality, this is no different than proxy-maintenance, however,
21 this codifies it into an explicit policy whereby users are encouraged
22 to step and take over a package. This obviously requires a greater
23 developer presence in the proxy-maint project (or something similar),
24 but, personally, I think that a stronger dev presence in proxy-maint
25 would be better for Gentoo as a whole.
26
27 The second policy change would be that maintainer-needed packages can
28 have updates by anyone while maintaining the standard "you fix it if
29 you break it" policy. This would extend to users as well. With the
30 increased ease that users can contribute via git/github, they should
31 be encouraged to contribute and have their efforts facilitated to ease
32 contributions to whatever packages they desire (within the
33 maintainer-needed category).
34
35 Similar to the concept of a "bugday," coupled with above, an
36 "ebuildday" where users and devs get together so users can learn to
37 write ebuilds and for devs to work together to maintain packages that
38 usually fall outside their normal workload could prove beneficial to
39 the overall health of Gentoo packaging.
40
41 Once again, these are just some random musings inspired by recent
42 events on the dev ML, and thought it might be worth discussing.
43 I've cc'd proxy-maint as a lot of this discussion is likely to involve
44 them, and would like them to put in their official opinion as well.
47 - --
48 NP-Hardass