From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI placement
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 16:30:56
1 On Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:14:24 +0100
3 > There is no way for an eclass to throw an error. Nor, with the current
4 > way Portage implements EAPI, is there a way to add such a way.
5
6 It's not perfect, but
7
8 <eclass>_pkg_setup() {
9 something_wrong && die
10 }
11
12 should work reasonably well.
15 > It's in PMS. svn co http://svn.repogirl.net/pms for a copy.
16
17 Right. But when you think every dev will read the PMS to find out what's fine
18 to do and what not for N++ EAPIs again and again, while he wants only a short
19 list of do's and don'ts, your bathing temperature is far above average.
20
21 What I do think - and no, I won't read this rediculous large
22 category/ebuild-x.y-rN-my.local.version-too-much-coffein-drinks.ebuild-epaiN-anyone-else-with-a-stupid-idea
23 thread - is, that EPAI changes and there implications apparently have not
24 been well thought out and the best we can do is to ensure there are as few
25 eclass/ebuild-relating differing EAPIs as possible.
28 Carsten