From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Collecting opinions about GLEP 55 and alternatives
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 07:33:05
1 Hi,
2
3 Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o>:
4
5 > Let's try something new. I would like to get opinions from as many
6 > people as possible about GLEP 55 and alternatives listed here in order
7 > to get some idea what the general developer pool thinks. Everyone is
8 > only allowed to post a single reply to this thread in order to make it
9 > easy to read through. The existing thread should be used for actual
10 > discussion about the GLEP and the alternatives. This should be a
11 > useful experiment to see if we can control ourselves :)
12
13 Thanks.
14
15 > 2) EAPI in file extension
16 > - Allows changing global scope and the internal format of the ebuild
17 > a) .ebuild-<eapi>
18 > - ignored by current Portage
19 > b) .<eapi>.ebuild
20 > - current Portage does not work with this
21 > c) .<eapi>.<new extension>
22 > - ignored by current Portage
23
24 All of them are ugly as hell. Though a) has my preference because of
25 the added flexibility. Can we use cool names instead of numbers as
26 eapi or omit the dash? => .ebuild3 or .ebuild-upyours
27
28 > 3) EAPI in locked down place in the ebuild
29
30 No, you never know when you need the flexibility.
31
32 V-Li
35 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
36 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
37
38 <URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>