From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] useflag policies
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2015 03:34:06
1 On 3 August 2015 at 01:33, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 00:34:51 +0800 Ben de Groot wrote:
3 > [...]
4 > This policy will allow to USE both qt versions whichever is
5 > available preferring newer one. Quite reasonable approach.
6 > Alternatives (^^() and ??()) will require micromanagement (e.g.
7 > pagkage.use.conf) for dozens if not hundreds of packages for no
8 > good reason. If someone still needs to override such policy (e.g.
9 > to use qt4 when both are available), this can be done by
10 > per-package configuration.
11 >
12 > My idea is that packages should be fully controllable, but choises
13 > of default behaviour should be done so, that in most cases
14 > micromanagement will not be necessary.
15 >
16 > I like this qt policy and I'm not sure if it violates any current
17 > rule.
18
19 See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Policies
20 under 1.4 and 1.5.
21
22 QA has spoken out pretty clearly against unversioned gtk or qt
23 useflags, and in favour of explicit versioned useflags. Dropping the
24 explicit qt4 useflag in these cases goes against (at least the spirit
25 of) this.
26
27 > [...]
28 > So I propose to add somewhere to devmanual/policies the following
29 > recommendation: "If package supports several versions of the same
30 > technology (e.g. qt4 and qt5) and more than one is enabled by USE
31 > flags, ebuild should prefer the later one (in terms of technology
32 > generation).".
33
34 If we adopt this, we should make sure the users understand this
35 policy, because it hides certain details from the user.
38 Cheers,
39
40 Ben | yngwin
41 Gentoo developer