From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 19:28:51
1 On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 03:13:45 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > I don't remember the specifics, but I remember that there was
4 > something that didn't seem to go along with our vision.
5
6 We disagreed over whether repositories should be named by the user or
7 the repository itself.
8
9 > > Incidentally... Side note on PMS vs EAPI-0: the way PMS is written,
10 > > it's deliberately very easy to integrate EAPI-1, EAPI-2 or whatever
11 > > into the document. Consider PMS to be a document that is capable of
12 > > holding all EAPIs, with EAPI-0 being the only one that's actually
13 > > there for now. Once EAPI-1 is agreed upon, it can be added to PMS
14 > > rather than having to be a whole new document.
15 >
16 > That also sounds like a good thing as it gives new ebuild authors a
17 > single authoritative source on what to expect from a package manager.
18 > Although EAPI-0 will still be defined, even if it is only as
19 > "revision XYZ of PMS".
20
21 It's more explicit than that. Sections that apply only to a particular
22 EAPI or group of EAPIs are marked as such. So we can do things like:
23
24 (common stuff about dep specs)
25
26 (fancy sidebar EAPI-1, EAPI-2) stuff about slot deps
27
28 (fancy sidebar EAPI-0 only) stuff that only EAPI-0 is allowed to use
29
30 > Also, as a leading dev to a (for a? on a? i've spent too long in
31 > Japan :/) "not an official Gentoo project" package manager, I hope
32 > you realize the danger of not having explicit versions of the
33 > document. Take, for example, the lack of acceptance of some changes
34 > to the dev guide that have been somewhat controversial...
35
36 Yeah. That one's solved by a nice little bit of magic that
37 automatically sticks in a "Generated" note on the title page.
40 Ciaran McCreesh
41 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
42 Web : http://ciaranm.org/
43 Paludis, the secure package manager : http://paludis.pioto.org/