From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: chead@×××××.ca
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 22:45:49
1 On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 23:28:04 -0800
2 Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca> wrote:
3
4 > If I need or want a feature or bugfix which isn’t in the newer
5 > version, I always have the choice to use ~.
6
7 Yes.
8
9 > If I don’t, why do I care if the package is a year old? I lose none
10 > of my time to use the old version, since it does all I want;
11
12 This is under the assumption that the old version has no further
13 implications, which is a false assumption; because the older a stable
14 ebuild get, the higher the chance is that it becomes incompatible with
15 its libraries and/or causes blockers. Even further, a security bug for
16 an old version of a library it depends on could cause its removal.
17
18 Regardless, it'll work fine for some time; and you can even pull it
19 further by attempting to keep things around and not upgrade, but at a
20 certain point it'll come costly to hold on to. I'm not saying it is a
21 lot of your time, but it's a bit more than none of your time.
22
23 This point becomes much more clear if you imagine using software from in
24 the early Linux years, most of them would be incompatible with today.
25
26 > I lose a
27 > nonzero amount of time if I get a version which breaks things (even
28 > if the only time I lose is the time it takes to downgrade),
29
30 Depends on whether the stable version is as perfect as one thinks it
31 is; an upgrade can go two ways, it improves or regresses. (Well, three
32 ways as it can stay the same, but that wouldn't demonstrate the point)
33
34 > so it’s in my best interest to use the stable versions of such
35 > packages, even if they’re a month, a year, or three years old.
36
37 Based on what you know, what you need and that you can resist change;
38 yes, but this doesn't take into account what you don't know, you don't
39 know you need and the improvements that change can bring.
40
41 While it doesn't happen often, some people will say "if I knew this
42 earlier, I would have already upgraded a long while ago"; either
43 because the new version brings something good, or the old version has a
44 regression they were not aware of yet or came due to incompatibility...
47 With kind regards,
48
49 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
50 Gentoo Developer
51
52 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
53 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
54 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D