From: Geert Bevin <gbevin@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUi installer brainstorm
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 10:49:26
1 On Mon, 2002-01-07 at 15:24, John Stalker wrote:
2 > I have one suggestion regarding hardware detection/configuration.
3 > Doing things automatically is not easy--this is something even
4
5 We really don't want to do stuff automatically, however auto detecting
6 hardware configurations might be a good feature to help a user with the
7 identification of his/her system. People that install gentoo tend to
8 know their computer well, but not necessarely all aspects and components
9 of it.
10
11 > big distributions get wrong frequently. There are several options
12 > intermediate between Windows-style automatic configuration and the
13 > current extreme do-it-yourself approach. One which involves minimal
14 > work is to use ebuild scripts to do all the work. For example I
15 > could write an ebuild for Epson 777 printers (USB version) which
16 > would download the upp files, check dependencies--in this case
17 > ghostscript and a USB controller package--maybe check /usr/src/linux/.config
18 > and warn if kernel support is missing. It could also use lpadmin
19 > to configure the printer, but maybe this shouldn't be automated.
20
21 The installation process has not (yet) the intent of creating a fully
22 customized system. The first step will be to aid the user to go from the
23 build cd to a first running and custom compiled gentoo system.
24
25 > If everyone who had trouble geetting a device working under gentoo
26 > wrote an ebuild for that device then new users could save a lot of
27 > time getting their systems working. One advantage is that you could
28 > use whatever UI front end you write for choosing and installing
29 > applications to configure hardware as well. I don't see much point
30 > in hardware detection at the moment; I think most new users know
31 > what hardware they have.
34 Geert Bevin
35 the Leaf sprl/bvba
36 "Use what you need" Pierre Theunisstraat 1/47
37 http://www.theleaf.be 1030 Brussels
38 gbevin@×××××××.be Tel & Fax +32 2 241 19 98