From: Paul de Vrieze <P.T.deVrieze@×××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] general questions and thoughts on Gentoo
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:20:10
1 On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
2
3 > When using portage, it's often the case that I know the name of the
4 > package I want to install, but not what category it lives in. Under
5 > debian, for example, I could say "apt-get install zsh" to install
6 > zsh, whereas in gentoo, I seem to have to remember that zsh lives in
7 > app-shells. This seems unnecessarily inconvenient, since it would
8 > only be an issue if the same package name were used by more than one
9 > package in more than one group.
10
11 Write a patch to emerge that does this, and submit it on bugs.gentoo.org
12 ;-).
13
14 > Another thing I kind of miss from other package systems is the
15 > ability to know *before* I download a package what files it will
16 > install. The Mandrake, Debian, and FreeBSD ports collection provide
17 > this information in various forms, which I've gotten used to, but
18 > the /usr/portage hierarchy doesn't seem to store it anywhere.
19
20 You can check which packages are going to be installed with the --pretend
21 option to emerge. A file list is not available from the ebuilds for the
22 following reason: There is absolutely no way to know this because the
23 installed files depend on your systems actual configuration. It should be
24 possible to extract this information from a binary package though.
25
26 > There are a few utilities which seem to be lacking, but which it
27 > would appear to be trivial to add. Something like RPM's "rpm -qf
28 > <file>" facility to find out which package "owns" a particular file
29 > would be useful. This information is in the /var/db/pkg hierarchy,
30 > so some kind of 'find&grep' method is all that's needed.
31
32 Look at the app-admin/gentool package, it provides qpkg which should do
33 exactly that (among others)
34
35 > Finally, given that Gentoo is designed to be compiled from source at
36 > install means that it should be fairly portable to other
37 > architectures. Has anyone tried installing Gentoo on a non-i386
38 > architecture? I wouldn't mind giving it a shot on my PPC-based
39 > iBook (currently running YellowDog 2.1).
40
41 For the most part it should work, I think you should be carefull with
42 kernel patches, and the bootloader, but if the particular packages support
43 the architecture, it should work (Linux is linux). I would say, give it a
44 try (on a spare partition if possible).
45
46 By the way, as you would guess, the cd will not work, so you would need to
47 find out a way to do the bootstrapping without most of the initial system.
48 (It should also possible to regenerate the cd for ppc on your yellowdog)
49
50 Good luck,
51 Paul
54 ___
55 /~~~\ | Paul de Vrieze
56 | O-O | | Student of information management and technology
57 | _ | | Mail: Paul@××××××××.net
58 \___/ | Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net