From: Jon Lech Johansen <jon@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avifile ebuild requires divx4linux and win32codecs on x86
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 01:08:31
conclude that they are ignorant of copyright law. Here's one example which is relevant to this thread: Alexey Morozov (user), <20020610032848.GX8690@××××××××××××.ru>: ... "strictly speaking codecs on mplayerhq.hu are illegal" ... "No, I don't want to say you should remove it immediately, but probably there's a legal problem here" A'rpi (dev) response <200206101054.g5AAsXO5010229@××××××××××××××.hu>: "i'm not a lawyer, but teh avifile guys discussed this topic very long, about a year ago, and get the result of it's somehow legal. note that you can get the win32 codecs from m$ without having to accept any license." This is most likely what A'rpi is referring to: http://avifile.sourceforge.net/about.htm "Many DLLs are available without having to accept any license agreement at all ( DivX ;-), all DirectShow codecs ), what obviously means that any kind of activity with them is acceptable." The second part of that avifile statement is patently incorrect. Copyrighted works which do not include a license are still protected by copyright law, and redistributing said works would be copyright infringement. I've mailed the legal department at Apple, Microsoft and Real and asked if the mplayer project has distribution licenses for their codecs. I'll inform the list of any response.