From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] first council meeting
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:01:23
1 On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 16:59 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Friday 16 September 2005 04:44 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:33:13 -0400 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
4 > >
5 > > wrote:
6 > > | ok, e17 packages dont count here. however, your hardcore view i
7 > > | still dont buy. how about the baselayout-1.9.x -> baselayout-1.11.x
8 > > | stabilization process ? are you telling me that arch teams should
9 > > | have had the power to move those into stable without talking to the
10 > > | maintainer ? baselayout may be a core package, but if you continue
11 > > | with your hard rule here, then it doesnt matter.
12 > >
13 > > I'm saying that arch teams should be allowed to mark it stable if they
14 > > think it's appropriate. Not that it must be moved to stable after $x
15 > > days, but that it can be at the arch team's discretion. And any arch
16 > > team which is silly enough to mark a broken baselayout stable has far
17 > > bigger problems anyway...
18 >
19 > baselayout is an example, any package can be used here (although not many are
20 > as critical)
21 >
22 > i'm saying that the maintainer may have a certain idea of when the package is
23 > ready for stable (a target feature set, working out certain quirks, etc...).
24 > your current hard view does not allow for that. for example, i had an arch
25 > maintainer one time mark bash-3 stable before base-system was ready for it
26 > (readline, baselayout, etc... were going to be stabilized together). i
27 > smacked them hard for it, but if we went with this hard view, it would have
28 > been perfectly acceptable behavior.
29
30 We still have KEYWORDS="-*". Sure, I know many do not like it, and if
31 something was decided in regards to it, I missed it, but it is generally
32 seen as 'less severe' than a package.mask'd mask, and its local to the
33 package, so should not get stale.
38 Martin Schlemmer