From: Mikhail Koliada <zlogene@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Switching default password hashes from sha512 to yescrypt
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 19:11:27
1 Hello!
5 This idea has been fluctuating in my head for quite a while given that the migration had happened
6
7 a while ago [0] and some other major distributions have already adopted yescrypt as their default algo
8
9 by now [1]. For us switching is as easy as changing the default use flag in pambase and rehashing the password
10
11 with the ‘passwd’ call (a news item will be required).
15 What do you think?
19 P.S. surely, I am only speaking about the local auth method based on shadow and also about the pam-based systems as the change is going
20
21 to mainly impact the pam_unix.so calls in the pam’s stack.
22
23 Pamless or the systems with an alternative auth methods is a different story.
27 [0] - https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2021-10-18-libxcrypt-migration-stable.html
28
29 [1] - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/yescrypt_as_default_hashing_method_for_shadow