From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving CPU flags into USE_EXPAND
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 08:22:08
1 On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 23:43:19 -0800
2 Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 11:01:16 -0800
5 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Why should we have to foresee the future? We can easily add support
8 > > for new flags in CPU_FLAGS_* variables at any time.
9 >
10 > Ah, what I meant was that whoever maintains this flag list only needs
11 > to forsee the present—when AMD or Intel adds a new instruction set
12 > extension, you add a flag for it to the variable immediately, whether
13 > or not any package actually uses it yet. Why? Here’s why:
14 >
15 > Case 1: flags are added only as packages need them. This is pretty
16 > much what we have today, only without the USE-expand feature. Every
17 > time a package adds support for a new CPU feature, it gets a new USE
18 > flag, and I see it in my emerge output.
19 [...]
20
21 you will not see it if no package use it.
24 Alexis.