From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] HDEPEND (host dependencies for cross-compilation) for EAPI 5?
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 07:39:29
1 On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 06:58:51 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 18:15:43 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > If we really want to go this route, then please at least require
7 > > explicit label at start of DEPENDENCIES. And the same when appending
8 > > to DEPENDENCIES -- just so 'unlikely' mistakes will leave us with
9 > > hours of debugging.
10 >
11 > We should take the exheres-0 rules for labels and eclasses, which
12 > limit labels' scopes to blocks, and which introduce an extra ( )
13 > block around the outside when doing eclass variable merging.
14
15 Because? I believe we should take 'Gentoo rules', including required
16 explicit build+run at the start.
17
18 > > Not that appending dependencies in eclasses is really that good
19 > > idea.
20 >
21 > Dependencies aren't appended over eclasses, they're merged.
22
23 Thanks for correcting my wording, like the naming was really relevant
24 to the topic.
25
26 > (And I have a sneaking recollection of PMS not documenting this
27 > properly...)
28
29 Yes, I think PMS is pretty silent about this. I think it doesn't even
30 say that in phase functions the contents are implementation-defined.
31
32 > > Remember that this requirement will actually cause migration to
33 > > EAPI 5 to be even harder than to any previous EAPIs. Migrating a
34 > > single ebuild will require rewriting the dependencies, and
35 > > migrating an eclass will require adding a lot of dirty code.
36 >
37 > Migrating to EAPI 5 requires rewriting dependencies anyway if we're
38 > adding in HDEPEND. Also, earlier EAPIs have introduced new phase
39 > functions, which is a far ickier change for ebuilds than this.
40
41 Do you really believe in HDEPEND in EAPI 5? I've already postponed this
42 in my mind. Also, not every single ebuild will actually need it.
43
44 > > And we will have to convert them back to old-style dependencies
45 > > anyway. For the sake of compatibility with external tools.
46 >
47 > No, external tools are required to be EAPI aware. If they're not, then
48 > the external tools need fixing.
49
50 Changing package manager API like that between EAPI is just bad. You
51 know that, don't you?
54 Best regards,
55 Michał Górny