From: George Prowse <cokehabit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Not offering help to certain parts of society
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:45:56
1 I have always respected Gentoo for it's ability to be completely helpful for
2 people no matter what their circumstances but i fear we are pushing a secion
3 of society away. We offer forums, mailing lists and the distribution itself
4 in a variety of languages, we have attempted to port portage to various
5 architectures and we give talks and represent the linux community at various
6 ventures around the world. We need to be a bit more politically correct and
7 help those who may not be in great numbers.
8
9 The problem is that we are in no way helping our Amish friends. If we made
10 it easier to use linux then i'm sure they'd embrace FOSS straight away! I
11 suggest some measures that would help them integrate better because it may
12 be frowned upon at first.
13
14 1. We should offer a special list: gentoo-amish
15 2. We should off that list by carrier pidgeon(s) for those who may find it
16 difficult to get to a computer
17 3. When an event is being held in or around Pennsylvania we should send a
18 horse and cart to bring them instead of offering plane tickets.
19 4. Along with Gentoo t-shirts we should offer large black gentoo hats and
20 black gentoo suits.
21 5. A Gentoo logo could be offered to them so it could be sown on their
22 quilts and perhaps sold in the Gentoo store
23
24 I think you'll agree that although it is not essential it is an act of
25 respect and is helpful in trying to bridge the gap between the Amish and
26 FOSS communities.
27
28 George