From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] FEATURES="stricter" as a default in developer profile not the best idea
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 00:43:45
TLDR: Let's remove FEATURES="stricter" from developer profile, I bet
most people have it disabled anyway and it doesn't seem useful.

I recently started more testing in one of my stable chroots, and I
switched it to the developer profile. During the update the following
error happened:

> * QA Notice: Package has poor programming practices which may compile > * fine but exhibit random runtime failures. > * gam_listener.c:101: warning: implicit declaration of function 'gam_exclude_check' > * gam_server.c:624: warning: implicit declaration of function 'gam_error_init' > * gam_connection.c:402: warning: implicit declaration of function 'gam_exclude_check' > * gam_inotify.c:145: warning: implicit declaration of function 'gam_poll_basic_init' > > * Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA > * issues directly to the upstream developers of this software. > * Homepage: > * ERROR: app-admin/gam-server-0.1.10 failed: > * install aborted due to poor programming practices shown above > * > * Call stack: > *, line 992: Called install_qa_check > *, line 688: Called die > * The specific snippet of code: > * has stricter ${FEATURES} && die "install aborted due to" \
Which is of course for a package I'm not a developer of. It seems to me that any people who use the developer profile productively have already disabled FEATURES="stricter". In fact, I've done so in my development VM. I suggest that we remove FEATURES="stricter" from developer profile's defaults. /usr/portage/profiles/targets/developer/make.defaults:FEATURES="collision-protect multilib-strict sign splitdebug stricter test test-fail-continue userpriv usersandbox" An alternative solution would be to make not bail out on errors beyond control of most people, but that's an order of magnitude more complicated. Thoughts?