From: Alexander Holler <holler@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Difference between PDEPEND and RDEPEND?
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:53:55
1 Hello,
2
3 --On Sonntag, Juli 04, 2004 20:13:46 +0900 Jason Stubbs
4 <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
5
7 > Hash: SHA1
8 >
9 > On Sunday 04 July 2004 19:59, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
10 >> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 12:50:40 +0200 Alexander Holler
11 >>
12 >> <holler@××××××××××.de> wrote:
13 >> | > it's mostly used to force upgrades with related packages but to
14 >> | > avoid circular dependencies (which would happen with RDEPEND)
15 >> |
16 >> | I think you mean DEPEND, not RDEPEND. Circular dependencies using
17 >> | RDEPEND can't occur, because RDEPEND says nothing about the order in
18 >> | which ebuilds must be installed.
19 >>
20 >> No, he means RDEPEND. Currently, portage will always install RDEPEND
21 >> before the package. This is considered by some to be a Bad Thing (TM).
22
23 I agree. A runtime dependency could be installed at any point during
24 installation process. Otherwise (such as portage now seems to handle this),
25 it is the same as DEPEND.
26
27 When the actual portage handles RDEPEND like DEPEND, I understand why
28 PDEPEND was included. But I think this doesn't make sense.
31 > It is usually not necessary to install RDEPENDs prior to a package
32 > itself, but it is unsafe to do it any other way until portage's
33 > dependency resolution advances significantly. Take the following:
34 >
35 > foo:DEPEND="bar"
36 > bar:RDEPEND="baz"
37 > baz:DEPEND=""
38 >
39 > If none of the above packages are installed, the order should be either
40 > baz-bar-foo or bar-baz-foo. The reason being that bar needs to be
41
42 No. Because baz is a runtime dependency, the order could be bar-foo-baz too.
43
44 > runnable for foo to be built and running bar requires baz. In the above
45 > example, if foo only had a RDEPEND on bar then the package order would
46 > be unimportant.
47
48 > Marius also brought up an interesting point when I was discussing this
49 > with him. When a user installs a series of packages (by whatever means),
50 > they tend to expect that a package is executable as soon as it is
51 > installed.
52
53 That doesn't make sense, otherwise RDEPEND could just included in DEPEND
54 and removed.
55
56 Regards,
57