From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Removal Announcements (or, "Bring out yer dead")
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:29:06
i'm just browsing the forums, and it seems there's still some complaints
about not getting enough notice about packages being removed.  i know,
there's always going to be someone complaining, but i think there's a
couple things we could do to improve the situation.

one, the treecleaner team has decided to extend the pmasking period for
packages we remove from 30 to 60 days.  we hope this'll lessen the
surprise factor for those people who do monthly upgrades.  this only
affects maintainer-needed ebuilds of course.

two, we have a perfectly good announce ML that right now is only used
for GLSAs, and an announcement forum that is used for GLSAs and major
announcements.  what do people think about posting last rites to these
places, maybe in one post on a weekly basis like the package moves
section in the GWN (which BTW is a very welcome addition ;)).

what would we have to do to have this happen?  i remember during the
news GLEP there was discussion about how to get stuff posted to the
announce lists, but i'm fuzzy on the details.

thoughts, rants, zombie mobs?

                                        by design, by neglect
dirtyepic gentoo org            for a fact or just for effect
9B81 6C9F E791 83BB 3AB3 5B2D E625 A073 8379 37E8 (0x837937E8)