From: Tal Peer <coredumb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The release of 1.4 and its impact on our mirrors
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:39:20
1 On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Kurt Lieber wrote:
4 > We have already received numerous complaints from our mirror admins about
5 > the amount of disk space we chew up now. For reference, here is a break
6 > down:
7 >
8 > 9.7G ./releases
9 > 139M ./snapshots
10 > 17G ./distfiles
11 > 6.6G ./experimental
12 >
13 > [real-big-snip]
14 >
15 > Thoughts? Ideas?
18 Looking at the numbers you provided, i think we should seperate the
19 mirrors into two groups: Binary and Source. Binary mirrors would provide
20 GRPs and ISOs, and source mirrors will only provide distfiles. Mirrors
21 could provide both, of course.
22
23 In the short term, there won't be too many binary mirrors (freeing almost
24 17 gigs of free space is tempting), so we should encourage mirrors that
25 are high on diskspace to mirror both source and binary.
26
27 In the long term, this could also rise the numbers of mirrors, as mirror
28 provideres will need to 'waste' less disk space on the gentoo mirror (if
29 they choose to only mirror one type, that is).
32 Tal Peer
33 Gentoo Developer
34
35 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x253D2947
36 Key Fingerprint: C0B1 D91D 7323 6C0F 227A CBD6 D635 E53D 253D 2947
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list