From: cilly <cilly@××××××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do not modify ebuilds which are already in the tree... even if masked
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:48:24
1 On Jun 12, 2007, at 12:55 PM, Marius Mauch wrote:
2
3 Hi Marius,
4
5 > Not realistic. Think about it:
6 > - upstream location for a package changes, so old SRC_URI stops
7 > working. If we don't update the existing ebuild people can't use it
8 > anymore, if we bump it to a new revision existing users "have to"
9 > perform a pointless update.
10
11 In that case I agree to keep the version number, but mostly some
12 other stuff is changed too, i.e. dependencies and the version number
13 is still kept the same.
14
15 > - a mistake in the ebuild prevents installation for 10% of the users,
16 > but doesn't affect runtime behavior. SHould we bump it just for that
17 > and "force" the other 90% of the users to perform a pointless update?
18
19 Yes. This is in general a good idea, any mistake in an ebuild should
20 be corrected by increasing the version number. I am not aware what
21 the guide-lines say, but it is my opinion to let others know: the
22 ebuild was buggy, see changelog... bla bla bla
23
24 > - also due to eclasses this is practically impossible, if an eclass is
25 > changed all ebuilds inheriting it are implicitly changed as well,
26 > you can't really restrict that to revbumps.
27
28 Well, I am not very familiar with eclasses, may be somebody else can
29 give a hint?
30
31 Chers,
32