From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 19: Gentoo Stable Portage Tree -- ideas
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:05:50
1 On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 17:19 +0100, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > On Friday 06 January 2006 16:27, Lance Albertson wrote:
3 > > As seen from the discussion earlier this week, I don't think Gentoo has
4 > > the proper open-mindness to create a proper enterprise distro.
5 >
6 > This has nothing to with open-mindness, but having enough people doing the
7 > general maintenance of a clearly defined frozen (sub-)tree as well as
8 > backports to fix vulnerabilities and other critical issues, without negative
9 > effects on other Gentoo subprojects (like "I work now on GLEP 19 stuff and
10 > don't care what I leave unmaintained instead."). Don't expect that
11 > maintainers of packages of the current tree do backports for a GLEP 19 tree.
12 > This is something the proponents would need to do themselves. You can't
13 > expect a commitment of the whole developer crowd in something only a minority
14 > is interested in. This doesn't mean there can't be a frozen tree within the
15 > context of Gentoo or as a separate project, of course.
16
17 Exactly. I'm finishing up my proofreading and spell-checking and should
18 be sending out my little idea within the hour.
21 Chris Gianelloni
22 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
23 x86 Architecture Team
24 Games - Developer