From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] LINGUAS to be removed from USE_EXPAND
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 17:17:54
1 Last year we had announced introduction of a new L10N variable
2 intended to replace LINGUAS as a USE_EXPAND variable [1]. Since then,
3 many packages have been converted to the new variable.
4
5 The next step in the conversion will be removal of LINGUAS from
6 USE_EXPAND, which means that LINGUAS will become a normal variable,
7 maintaining the standard gettext behaviour. For a transition time,
8 all linguas_* flags currently existing in packages' IUSE will be
9 added to use.desc, but will be removed again when conversion of the
10 remaining packages is complete.
11
12 The plan is to remove LINGUAS from USE_EXPAND in one week from now.
13 Please speak up if you think this would cause issues for your
14 packages. A test run using CI [2] was done by mgorny, and it hasn't
15 shown any problems.
16
17 I also assume that the permission for fixing packages [3] still holds.
18
19 Ulrich
20
21 [1] https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2016-06-23-l10n-use_expand.html