From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should mirror restriction imply bindist restriction?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 18:44:43
1 On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
2 <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
3 > The user is distinguishing right from wrong by setting things like
4 > USE=bindist, portage simply doesn't seem to be respecting that in the
5 > case of RESTRICT=bindist.
6
7 I think what is missing is a clear set of definitions.
8
9 USE=-bindist means build a package that the maintainer thinks isn't
10 legal to distribute under some set of circumstances (which might or
11 might not be the user's circumstances).
12
13 RESTRICT=bindist in an ebuild means what? Let's look at the devmanual:
14 RESTRICT - A space-delimited list of portage features to restrict.
15 Valid values are fetch, mirror, strip, testand userpriv. See man 5
16 ebuild for details.
17 man 5 ebuild:
18 bindist - Distribution of built packages is restricted.
19
20 And how does a user tell portage whether they intend to redistribute
21 something in the first place? The fact that an ebuild sets
22 RESTRICT=bindist does not have anything to do with whether it will in
23 fact be redistributed. It sounds like we would need a
24 FEATURES=bindist to go along with it. Oh, and it sounds like
25 RESTRICT=bindist often should be conditional based on USE=-bindist,
26 but you can't set RESTRICT conditionally, so that won't work.
27
28 Also, isn't all of this somewhat redundant with ACCEPT_LICENSE? It is
29 the license that allows you to redistribute something in the first
30 place, though with some licenses it might be conditional upon how the
31 package is built/branded.
32
33 The last thing we need on any of this stuff is a hard error. What is
34 needed first is for those who care about such things to cleanly
35 specify a sane set of definitions and behavior.
36
37 Rich