From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving more architectures to ~arch only
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 06:54:36
1 On 14.10.2021 20.10, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2021-10-14 at 15:40 +0200, Marek Szuba wrote:
3 >> Dear everyone,
4 >>
5 >> Following some private discussions, I feel quite strongly now that it
6 >> would both considerably improve certain processes and make our use of
7 >> limited manpower more efficient were we to further reduce the number of
8 >> stable arches in Gentoo Linux. Specifically, I propose to drop
9 >> - hppa,
10 >> - ppc,
11 >> - sparc,
12 >> - x86
13 >> to ~arch-only status.
16 Yes please. Still confused why people by default push KEYWORDS="~amd64
17 ~x86", but I guess they're the most compatible with each other.
20 > On one hand, I fully realize that these platforms are a hassle (hppa
21 > and x86 especially). On the other hand, I wouldn't want to basically go
22 > tell Dakon "sorry, you're doing a good job but we've arbitrarily decided
23 > it's not worth your effort".
24
25 Isn't this just strengthening the point; there's one guy behind all work ;)
28 > While we're discussing it, maybe we should start by defining a clear
29 > criteria for platform support tiers? Like: what are the requirements
30 > for a platform to maintain stable keywords? Then the decisions could
31 > look less arbitrary, and people would have a clear way of knowing what
32 > they need to do if they wish the platform to continue having stable
33 > keywords.
36 ++
37
38 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature