From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, Alexander Holler <holler@××××××××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea about signing ebuilds
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 17:23:12
1 On Thursday 06 June 2002 01:56 pm, Alexander Holler wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > what do you think about signing the ebuilds and digests with gpg?
5 >
6 > That would make it harder for blackhats to introduce a worm or something
7 > similiar (if they have got access to an rsync mirror).
8 >
9 > My idea is to automatically sign the released ebuilds (before mirroring
10 > them) with a key of gentoo.org.
11 >
12 > Then emerge could check the sign and could discard wrong ebuilds or just
13 > throws a warning (preferable customized with make.conf).
14
15 I think it is an excellent idea, but then, that's easy for me to say since I'm
16 not the one who would be burdened by the work of actually building a ring of
17 trust and signing all the ebuilds.
18
19 Having said that, it is clear that when new ebuilds are taken from bugzilla
20 and put into the official CVS, the decision as to what goes in and what
21 doesn't, and those who are allowed to commit to CVS, is a limited number of
22 people.
23
24 It should be reasonably manageable to create a ring of trust amongst those who
25 submit and distribute ebuilds, and the security benefits would be
26 significant.
27
28 Unfortunately, as with most things, I suspect this will happen only AFTER
29 someone slips a trojan through, as there is some amount of work in getting
30 something like that setup and the developers have plenty of other things that
31 are, for the moment anyway, more pressing. :-)
32
33 Just like backups, almost no one develops the habit until they've been bitten
34 at least once. [grin]