From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] a new TLP to "unify" programming langiages?
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:31:33
1 Hi gang.
2
3 As I looked for a place where to put some documentation naturally falling in
4 a "project domain" for Ada, I realized that we have TLPs for many individual
5 (programming) languages. First I though to ping some people on irc, but, as I
6 went down the page the noticed number became nontrivial, so I decided to
7 throw an email here instead.
8
9 Basically the idea is that a TLP for an individual language is way too much -
10 most of them do not have subprojects anyway. Therefore lets try to organize
11 it a bit better? At least documentation-wise. We will have to see whether
12 there will be any additional correllation further on (and indeed there might
13 be, for example for the different gcc-backends), but even if not I think it
14 is better to keep the main projects page more structured.
15
16 What I propose is to create a TLP page for "Gentoo Programming Resources" (or
17 pick your name) and move all the individual languages into the subdirs of it.
18 Any opinions? If I get any "yay's" or no "nays" I'll create a bug about it
19 and then we can finalize the layout there..
20 (I just like to keep the trace of what is being done and the related
21 discussions).
22
23 The principal list of individual TLPs (as they stand now) is below:
24 Common Lisp
25 eselect
26 java
27 perl
28 php
29 python
30 Ada -- to be added
31
32 George
33
34 PS
35 This is the top level project listing page I am talking about:
36 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/
37
38 PPS
39 We could add principal divisions there, like
40 Languages
41 Tools
42 whatever_else
43 and organize it even more, but this is a matter of discussion and we do not
44 need to do it right away. I think the creation of a common TLP and relocation
45 would suffice for a start.
46 --
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list