From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: openrc mount service prototype
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 00:47:49
1 On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Daniel Campbell (zlg) <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > So say I want to have an ownCloud instance that provides a single /usr
4 > or /etc for any Gentoo system that wants it on my local network. Is
5 > that a use case that would benefit from this new mounting?
6
7 I suppose daemons that provide mountpoints (FUSE/etc) might be one use
8 case, but the more common one would be daemons that require
9 mountpoints (especially ones that might not be quickly available at
10 boot). Maybe my 500TB mythtv recording directory takes 2min to fsck
11 and mount so I'd like to delay startup of mythtv. Hosts that run lots
12 of containers or such with iSCSI mounts might be another use case -
13 they could be mounted in parallel and their containers could start as
14 they become available.
17 Rich