From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC]: gentoo-politics ML
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 06:22:46
1 So I'm told debian has one of these types of MLs, probably where the flames burn
2 bright enough to have earned a star designation from the IAU. Given what's been
3 going on lately, and with calls from myself and others (i.e., mcummings) to get
4 back on track and actually like, you know, develop something, I think it's high
5 time we create this list ourselves.
6
7 What goes on it?, why the flames of course. Every last ember, hot coal, glowing
8 developers, and any kittens having reached critical mass. We leave the new
9 developer introductions on -dev, but any developer leaving and wanting to say
10 goodbye, should consider posting their bit on -politics, because that's lately
11 been the reason for leaving. Anything hot button, hot topic, divisive,
12 non-development, etc. Especially license debates. Ohhh yes, the license
13 debates definitely belong here.
14
15 This'll probably kill -dev off completely, unless we start developing again.
16 But hey, I for once wouldn't mind a quiet gentoo-dev folder in my thunderbird
17 client.
21 So who's up for it? We can even divide ourselves into Red Devs and Blue Devs!
22 Blue Devs will, of course, be liberal, very energy conservative (i.e., no
23 Octanes for you guys!), Pro-Choice (Portage or Paludis or Pkgcore, it's a dev's
24 right to choose!), and most importantly, they'll favour any legislation from the
25 Council that bans devs from smoking. You know, the kind of smoldering that
26 happens before a dev bursts into flames?
27
28 And the Red Devs? Well, they'll be on the other side of the fence. They'll
29 blow the electric bill like the space shuttle burns fuel. They'll also be
30 Anti-Portage (it's Paludis/Pkgcore or else). And the flames? We're talking
31 Firebats from StarCraft here. Need a light?
32
33 See, this is fun already! We can hold debates where one side rips the other,
34 conventions where the egos of one side get inflated bigger than the Hindenburg
35 (and lots of confetti is thrown about), And maybe even a few scandals, like
36 discovering one die-hard Blue Dev secretly runs a 8-way Opteron system with a
37 15-disk RAID6 array and 5 CRT monitors, or something.
38
39 We will have to fill a few positions, though. We'll need a flip-flopper for
40 starters (the one dev who randomly changes his opinion when cornered). We'll
41 also need a dev who skipped the Freenode War a year or two ago (when Bantown
42 attacked, and they ran away screaming because of the netsplits and Squits and
43 lilo impersonators). And maybe a dev who secretly dabbles in another OS....like
44 Wind...err, Ubuntu!
47 So anyways, I'm all for this list, humour aside. It's blatantly obvious people
48 need a place to vent at times, and I think that by separating the politics from
49 the technical discussion, it might help in some way. Yes, it'll also be the
50 source of many problems too. I can't envision what they might be, but I know
51 they'd exist.
54 Anyways, thoughts?
57 --Kumba
60 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
61
62 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
63 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
64 --
65 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list