From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:31:28
1 On Thursday 21 August 2003 01:48 pm, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 <snip>
3 > >
4 > > The GPL already states that.
5 >
6 > That is incorrect. See for example the Sistina GFS fiasco. GFS was a GPL
7 > product which had contributor copyrights assigned to Sistina. Then they
8 > decided to go closed source, taking all the user contributions with them.
9
10 The original code (from before they closed the source) is still available
11 GPL'ed, even from Sistina's own ftp server. The code was taken up by an
12 opensource project, and lives on in the form of OpenGFS. Besides there is a
13 big difference betweeen Sistina and Gentoo.
14
15 --Brian Jackson
18 > > > I am unclear how copyright assignment is being done at the moment? I
19 > > > have never been asked to assign copyright for any contributed ebuilds,
20 > > > and I have never signed a contract with GTI, as far as I am concerned I
21 > > > still have copyright on those GPL ebuilds.
22 > >
23 > > Only if you changed the copyright header to mention your name rather
24 > > than Gentoo Technologies.
25 >
26 > Hmmm, I thought that copyright notice only applied to the header ;-)
29 > --
30 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list