From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) with -@GROUP goodness
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:15:42
1 On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:04:41 -0400 Lina Pezzella <j4rg0n@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | I'm all in favor of this provided that the exact USE flags that each
4 | grouping specifies are clearly detailed in easily accessible
5 | documentation.
6
7 Yeah, there's a note on hopefully getting a groups list like the current
8 global use list on the site.
9
10 | Perhaps for those of you who care to be kinder to less
11 | knowledgeable users, a line such as "if USE flags are specified twice,
12 | the latest specification will be used. If USE flags are specified more
13 | than once..." Two sentences is all that's really necessary.
14
15 That should already be specified somewhere, it's the way things are
16 right now. USE="foo bar foo -foo" -> "bar -foo".
17
18 | Perhaps I'm rusty on my set theory, but what would happen in the
19 | following [rather ludicrous] case: USE="@GNOME @KDE -X"? Will it be -X
20 | for all cases that don't expressly depend upon it, or is it additive,
21 | and the two instances of +X in @GNOME and @KDE will override the one
22 | instance of -X?
23
24 You don't need set theory for that. The set theory stuff only comes in
25 if we start messing with that $stuff that Maurice was suggesting. With
26 the simple currently proposed method, you'll end up with -X, since flags
27 furthest to the right have highest priority.
28
29 Same as if you do USE="foo foo foo foo foo -foo", it ends up as -foo.
32 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
33 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
34 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm